Planning your event

Are you planning a community event or function?

Safe Work SA provide an Event Safety Management Information series (four documents) aimed to assist organisers in ensuring that safe management systems are put in place. For further details or questions contact Safework SA on 1300 365 255 or visit

  • Your community event may require council approval or support, if your event:
  • is held on community land
  • you require equipment including waste and recycling bins
  • alcohol will be available at your event on council land (liquor licence)
  • you will sell/supply food and/or drinks
  • there are temporary road closures required
  • you are advertising your event with temporary banner/s on council land.

If any of the above apply to your event, you need to complete an event application form (on left) and submit at least two months prior to the event date. Please ensure you read the terms and conditions.

Please note: Council undertakes general maintenance and cleaning of reserves and foreshore areas on a maintenance cycle and not for specific events/ceremonies.

Development applications

If your event is going to last longer than three days, a development application may be required. For more information please contact the Development Services section on (08) 8384 0666.

Food safety

Be aware of food safety, health, hygiene and temperature control requirements. Our brochure about Sausage Sizzles and Barbecues may be useful.

New food safety legislation has introduced a number of major changes in the way that charities and community organisations conduct their business.

Kaurna recognition protocol

The council recognises the Kaurna people as traditional owners of our land. We have developed Kaurna protocols to assist with acknowledgements, welcomes and flag flying.

Mayor/Elected Member attendance

If your community event has an opening or presentation ceremony, you might like the Mayor (or a delegated proxy) to officiate. For further information, please contact the Executive Assistant to the Mayor on (08) 8384 0118 or by email at

If your invitation is to a council supported event, please direct your invitation to the relevant grants officer.

Public places for photographs/ceremonies

There are many picturesque locations for holding ceremonies and taking photographs.

There are also a number of beautiful reserves and foreshore sites for use for wedding ceremonies within the City of Onkaparinga. You can find details about possible locations by searching the SA Communities website. Search tip: try searching on ’venues for hire’ in ’Onkaparinga’ council.

A permit (including a fee) will be required if you are holding an event for more than 30 people on a council reserve. For inquiries and bookings, please contact our Permits and Licences Officer on (08) 8384 0666 or email

Wedding ceremonies

  • The approval is for the wedding ceremony only, formal set up or wedding reception is not permissible
  • A maximum of 2 hours is permitted, no more than 20 chairs for elderly/frail guests, small pa system, small sun shade for wedding party
  • Exclusive use is unable to be given, members of the public are able to access the area at all times
  • Confetti or rice cannot be used. Flower petals are acceptable
  • The reserve is to be left in a clean and tidy condition
  • A booking fee is applicable. Refer to Councils Fees & Charges

Venues for hire:

* Please note: Council undertakes general maintenance and cleaning of reserves and foreshore areas on a maintenance cycle and not for specific events/ceremonies.

Signs and banners

To place a temporary banner on council land (eg ‘players wanted’), please complete an application form to obtain approval. For more information contact the Permits and Licences Officer on (08) 8384 0135.