High on the Hill

162 He retained his licence on the understanding that he show ‘increased diligence’, but he soon resigned, asserting the lack of attendance was due to the disadvantage of the location. The Victoria School, on the banks of Christie Creek in what is now known as Christie Downs, was considered by the people of Morphett Vale as a most inconvenient location. A more suitable school was finally built in 1880, near the corner of Beach Road and Main South Road. When he wasn’t teaching Alfred was also working as a butcher, clerk, and painter at various times. Henry Harris Niemann married Jessie Elizabeth McDonald on 9 January 1877 at the home of Jessie’s father in McLaren Vale. Jessie was born in Adelaide in 1855, one of three children of Alexander Malcolm McDonald and his wife Esther nee Wilkie, originally from Scotland, who lived at Willunga from the mid– 1850s. Alexander had the licence for the ‘Cornwall Inn’ on Aldinga Road. Jessie’s mother died when she was five years old, and her father remarried Fanny Bullivant 8 months later, having a further six children. Children of Henry Harris NIEMANN & Jessie Elizabeth nee Malcolm: Esther (b 1878 Noarlunga; m Alfred William Hancock) May (1879–1881) Ethel May (b 1881 Noarlunga; m Alfred James Angrave) Douglas Malcolm (b 1883 Noarlunga; m Annie Maud Stevens) Alexander Stuart (b 1885 Noarlunga; me Ethel May Balfour) Royden Harris Calder (b 1886 McLaren Flat; d 1934; m Alice Mabel Bailey) Leslie Harry (b 1890 McLaren Vale) Herbert Stanley (m Charlotte Emma Edwards) Henry Harris Niemann was a baker and leased his premises on Patapinda Road (lot 58) from Henry Cox. He leased part section 146 in McLaren Vale from Emma Bigg nee Mudge, widow, in 1890 for a 3 year term. He paid rates for his Noarlunga shop from 1877 to 1882, after which time he had a house and land only. All but one of Henry and Jessie’s children survived to adulthood. Daughter May died of bronchitis as a toddler. Daughter Esther and her husband Alfred Hancock won a case for compensation over the death of their son Leslie, who was electrocuted while working as a carpenter at Mount Bold reservoir. Daughter Ethel May petitioned in 1913 for the dissolution of her marriage to Alfred Angrave, and custody of their children, after he had deserted them in 1906 to live with a married woman and her husband, engaging in improper relations with her. He had also been given an affiliation order (ordered to pay child support) by another woman. Sons Douglas Malcolm and Leslie Harry both served in WWI, returning from service in France and Egypt respectively. Youngest son Royden, who had been depressed due to illness, committed suicide in 1934, found dead in his home in the city with a bullet wound. (News, 20 August 1934). Henry and Jessie moved to the city later in life. Henry died in 1907, and Jessie in 1934. Both were buried at West Terrace Cemetery.