Built Heritage Property Details

Dwelling - 'Carew Cottage'

<<Go Back
Address: 38-44 Panalatinga Road
Suburb: Old Reynella
Allotment No: Alt 405 Sec 538
Plan No: DP 31765
Zoning: Industry
Area: Old Reynella
Heritage ID No: 306
Type of Listing: Local Heritage Places
Ownership: Private
Conservation Plan: No

Description
A two storey house with a symmetrical front façade and a large single storey section at the rear. Walls of the two storey section, which is only one room deep, are masonry, rendered and painted. The corrugated iron roof is hipped. Walls of the single storey section at the rear are timber framed with weatherboard cladding, the roof of this section is gabled. An ancillary structure attached to the rear verandah is timber framed and weatherboard clad, with a gabled roof. There is a sunken rose garden alongside the dwelling and mature pine trees in the grounds.

History
In 1900, aged seventeen, Carew Reynell (1883 - 1915) grandson of John Reynell, took over management of Reynella Winery. Carew reintroduced the making of brandy at the Winery and Reynella Hospital Brandy became one of the leading brands in the country. In 1910, Carew Reynell married May Byard. It is thought that he built this house near the winery for them to live in that same year. Carew was killed in action in Gallipoli in 1915, but May is said to have lived here until she died in 1967. The house was apparently known as 'Greenacres'. The structure attached to the rear verandah was apparently built as a schoolroom in 1930. The sunken rose garden alongside the dwelling was apparently established as a memorial to Carew and his son Richard who was killed in action in the Battle of Britain in 1940. The mature pine trees in the grounds probably date from the time that the house was built.

Extent of Listing
Dwelling – ‘Carew Cottage’ attached former school room, sunken garden and pine trees

Source: BHA2003

Dwelling - 'Carew Cottage' - east elevation Bruce Harry and Associates (2003)

Dwelling - 'Carew Cottage' - view from southwest Bruce Harry and Associates (2003)